Thursday, December 19, 2013

Final Blog Post - Educational Technologies

www.quickanddirtytips.com

“Quick and Dirty Tips creates and distributes digital content that offers short, actionable advice from friendly and informed authorities that will help you succeed at work and in life.”
Carla McMillan posted this website back in the early weeks of our class and I haven’t had much time to look at it until this week and I have to say I really like it! I chose this site because of the business and career tab that it features and the information that is provided. There is a plethora of ideas and advice that will be great for my business students. Just a few of the stories that I looked through are: How to write a great resume, office etiquette, email etiquette, public speaking, ways to succeed in sales, how to be the office newbie, and how to prioritize. This is just a small sample of the information available in the careers section. There are also sections on small business, legal, communication, networking and public speaking.
I would definitely incorporate this site into my classroom. Students could take to looking up two or three items every week that interested them or that pertained to the topic that was being studied and reporting about what they learned from each section. I would also use it from the educator’s point of view and choose my own topics from the site and use those topics for group work in the classroom.

www.blogspot.com

I believe it was David Dodd that chose the blog as an emerging technology. Others might have also but David’s post is the one that I remember seeing. A blog as we have all learned this last eight weeks is like having our own personal chalkboards where we can post information that is relevant to the work we are doing in class. When I first started this class I can honestly say that I may have read a blog, but if I did, it certainly wasn’t because I was looking for one. I have to say, that once I figured out why I was having so much trouble with my blog and posting to it, (and I will never tell because it is too stupid to even admit to), that I love the blog idea! I actually can’t wait to have students of my own because I want to give them a blog assignment. I think it is a creative way to speak about important topics in class. I also want my students to create a page that reflects their ideas and personalities. My idea for the use of a blog would be to have my students create a business plan by sections (similar to the way we did our emerging technologies grant proposal) and post their sections to their blog for review by their colleagues. I would use it somewhat like a discussion board and ask my students to comment on each other’s blogs with helpful ideas and constructive criticism. In addition to the students using their blogs for business plans, I would use a blog also to post helpful tips, ideas, links, resources, and class announcements.

www.symbaloo.com

Symbaloo was introduced to us by Terri Hock. Thank you Terri for giving me one more small glimmer of hope that I can organize my online life! Symbaloo is a fancier more colorful version of www.delicious.com. Symbaloo is a website that allows the user to make a compilation of the websites they use the most or just websites that they have a use for. It has a home page that consists of the user’s Webmix. “A webmix is a compilation of tiles. Here you can search for webmixes created by others, or add an empty webmix to start building one of your own.” In the center of the webmix is a google search area. I chose this site because I love the way it is set up and I believe it is a great way for the typically run-ragged college student to organize their thoughts and information sources. The really nice part about this site is that you can share your webmixes with other people. So, as an educator, I could set up a webmix collage for my students with all of the relevant websites they will want and/or need to use for class. I can also add pages to it that are discovered throughout the semester. I think I would use Symbaloo in a similar manner as I would use the blog but I would have my students use this site a little more liberally than the blog site and allow them to use it for a personal outlet also. By sharing their webmixes with each other, students could get a glimpse of each other’s personalities and share their interests with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment