Friday, November 22, 2013

Mobile Technology

Educational Technologies Blog



The iPad is a tablet style computer that can connect to the Internet through wifi or a cellular type connection.  I have chosen the iPad as a mobile learning technology because I use the iMac at work, I have an iPhone and I also have an iPad Mini.  With these devices you are able to use iCloud so you can access items from one device to the other.  If you have pictures on your iPhone you can get them on your iPad using iCloud.  I also have a Samsung Galaxy tablet and use Windows 8 on my home laptop.  I am still trying to get used the Windows 8 because I find it somewhat confusing.  Therefore, my choice for mobile learning is the iPad.  With that being said, I have chosen two websites that I would integrate into my classroom that I believe could enhance adult learning.


“Socrative is a smart student response system that empowers teachers by engaging their classrooms with a series of educational exercises and games.”  I chose this site because it is an interactive way for teachers to quiz students and for students to get immediate results.  Socrative allows teachers to design their own quizzes or to import quizzes from other locations. Students then join the class by entering the teacher’s classroom number and the students use their smart phone or tablet in order to take the quiz.  The results are tallied and appear on the teacher site as an excel file.   Socrative also includes a game called Space Race.  Teams of students compete against each other as they answer questions to see who can complete the race first.   Another feature on the site is called exit tickets.  This is a way to check your student’s grasp of the subject matter that you worked on throughout the class.  Each day the teacher can set up a scheduled exit ticket, for example, to be available the last 5 minutes of class.  Before the students leave they fill out a ticket on their mobile device that answers, “Today I learned… and Tomorrow, I need….”  The responses from the students are again put together in a report for the teacher’s review.  I think this is an excellent way to get quick feedback from your students and really find out what they are taking away from class each day.  It is also a good way for the students to relay what they may be struggling with and what items they need help with or maybe just further explanation.            As an educator, I would use this entire site.  I think every feature could be useful and I love the idea of group work playing Space Race.


“Educreations is a global community where anyone can teach what they know and learn what they don't.”  I love this website!  I think this is the neatest idea and what a fun way to teach and to learn!!  Teachers can create lessons and their students can play them on their Mac or PC or on the Educreation App on their iPad.   I think this is a wonderful idea for distance learning.  Teachers are able to record their lectures as well as use the whiteboard.   
I think the best part about this site is that if educators use it for their students, the students can go back at anytime and replay the lesson.  I know everyone has probably had a class where they were taking notes and trying to follow the lecture and either forgot to write something down or wrote something down and don’t remember what it means or why it was relevant.  Through this website, all those types of problems could be solved. In addition, there are lessons on the site on a variety of subjects for students to browse.

No comments:

Post a Comment