Friday, November 15, 2013

Week 3 Assign 1

Educational Technologies Blog


Facebook is a social networking site where people go to connect with friends, family, co-workers, and fellow students.  I am a firm believer in the world of Facebook and what it has to offer.  I use it every day to stay in touch with my friends.  The reason I chose Facebook is because I believe it is very easy to use and I have witnessed the learning power that is available on the site.  Facebook enables people to connect with each other on many different levels.  There are personal pages as well as the ability to create pages for businesses and groups.  One way I would use Facebook for educational purposes is for a group setting much like the online blackboard in our class.  You can create a private group page that can be used for a classroom and no one can participate in it other than those in the class.  There, students would use the page to share class material and ask questions.  It is a way for students that only meet in class once or twice a week to connect with each other outside of the classroom.  In addition, students could share announcements, links, ideas, thoughts, pictures, etc. with the members of their class and myself.


Twitter is also a social networking site where people go to connect with friends, family, co-workers, and fellow students.  However, the difference between Facebook and Twitter is that Twitter allows people to connect beyond their own social circle.  Twitter is a more extended networking site where people can actually connect with celebrities, sports stars, musicians, and other famous people.  In addition, the way people communicate on Twitter is much more open.  You can view other people’s pages more openly and do not have to “friend” someone in order to see their page.  One way I would use Twitter would be to have my students explore Twitter and see what kind of subjects they can find tweets about and use that information to write reports about their Twitter experiences.   Through the search function it is very easy to search for different interests and get other people’s thoughts and opinions.  We know that wisdom is gained through life experiences and Twitter is a great way to expand one’s knowledge. 
I chose Facebook and Twitter because of the numerous possibilities they offer for reaching out beyond our normal everyday lives and interacting with people that we normally would not speak to face to face or by phone.  I can honestly say that I enjoy using social media and it has helped me connect with old classmates, old friends and distant relatives.  I believe that learning through others is a very important aspect of lifelong learning.  There is always someone out there that is smarter than myself and if that person shares their knowledge on social media, I am able to collect and store that knowledge for my own personal growth.  I enjoy the news and political views that are shared as well as personal stories from other people’s lives.  These are all things that I would like my students to experience also. 
Teaching business classes is the goal that I am working towards.  Both Facebook and Twitter offer special site features for business advertising.  I think this is an important feature that I would bring into my classroom and share with my students.  As a business person, anytime you can get free advertising for your business you have to take advantage of it.  Social media is one of the best ways to get your products in front of several people with just the click of the mouse and you can do that without even setting up a special page.  All you have to do is post it on your Facebook wall or tweet about it on Twitter.  With so many more people using social media instead of print news, taking advantage of these free sites is one of the best ways to spread the word. 

No comments:

Post a Comment